used Buick Estate engines

The Buick Estate was a named used for Buick’s full size station wagons. The name was given to vehicles for the first time buy Buick back in 1940 on something called the Super model.

Interestingly enough the first bodies for these vehicles were wooden and was produced in the Special series offered by Buick for the 1941 and a942 model year. Buick also made this available on a larger C series model which included the Super and the Road Master. This would not change until 1970 when Buick decided to bring the name back and reintroduce on what Buick called there B Body. When it was brought back for 1970 it was referred to as the Estate Wagon.

When the car was reintroduced for the 1970′s, the B body was only used for the first year – 1970. After that Buick shifted over to using the C body. These station wagons would share a new design concept with other station wagons developed by General Motors known as the clam shell tailgate. The clam shell tail gate was an extremely popular concept with most american families. The 1974 and 1975 station wagons would become the biggest ever built by American auto manufacturers to date.

While enjoying tremendous popularity with the suburbanites of this time period, unfortunately the gas crisis would do serious damage to sales of this vehicle. General Motors began to downsize the vehicles in an effort to make them more fuel efficient. By 1977, General Motors was ready switch body size again for the station wagon. This time they would swap back to the B body style.

The Buick Estate Wagon Limited was smaller but had many for features as standard that had been only offered as options on the earlier versions of the vehicle.

The cars were manufactured up through the nineties with a name change to the Buick Electra Estate Wagon. As popularity of station wagons began to give way to minivans, the Estate Wagon sales continued to slide. 1990 would be the last production year for the Buick Estate.